Situations that may require the fabrication and placement of a dental crown for a Brunswick, ME area patient
- Posted on: May 15 2019
Dental restorations are commonly used in many situations for patients who need to repair their smile. Dental crowns are a popular option that most patients in the area of Brunswick, ME may be familiar with. These dental “caps” are used in a variety of situations. Patients may utilize a dental crown in the following cases:
• A patient that has a very large filling that impacts the integrity of the natural tooth structure.
• A patient that has lost a tooth and has a dental implant placed as a tooth root replacement.
• A patient that has experienced cracking or chipping of their natural tooth.
• A patient that has undergone root canal therapy and has a weak, brittle tooth structure.
• A patient that needs to have a tooth replaced and a dental bridge fabricated.
• A patient that has had trauma to a natural tooth that impacts the natural enamel.
How is a dental crown placed?
The placement of a dental crown starts with an evaluation, during which Dr. James A. Oshetski will determine if a patient is a proper candidate for this restoration or any other options available. If patients have decided to move forward with a dental crown, they can speak to the team about preparations that need to be done. Preparations require the dentist to remove a substantial amount of natural tooth enamel from all sides of the tooth prior to completing impressions. The impressions are sent to a dental laboratory with instructions for the ceramist to create a natural-looking restoration. Within a week or two, patients come back into the office to have the dental crown bonded in place.
How to care for a dental crown
Crowns should be cared for in the same manner as the natural teeth. Brushing, flossing, and routine examinations are required to maintain this and other restorations that are placed within the smile. Patients should avoid the development of tooth decay and periodontal disease to maintain a healthy smile.
Speak to a professional today to determine if dental crowns are right for you!
Dr. James A. Oshetski of Brunswick, ME is here to help patients in the community with general, cosmetic, and restorative services, including the creation and placement of dental crowns. We encourage patients to book an appointment by calling (207) 729-1159 and visit the facility at 14 Maine Street, Ste. 409.
Posted in: Dental Crown